Sunday, October 23, 2011

A Variety of MicroOrganisms



Friday October 21, 2011, I spent close to 3 hours observing and documenting microorganism in my MicroAquarium with the aid of Dr. McFarland. The first organism I observed was a Vorticella sp. I was able to record video of it's movement as I observed it. Dr. McFarland demonstrated just how sensitive to any vibrations they are by gently tapping the side of my MicroAquarium. The Vorticella contracted inward to protect itself and a few seconds later slowly uncoiled into its normal position.

This video shows the Vorticella sp. collapsing on itself in order to protect itself from the "shock wave" that occured when Dr. McFarland tapped the MicroAquarium.

 Dr. McFarland showed me how it uses its cilia help it move and produce a current to draw in and catch its food in its opening. Attached to the Vorticella was a Notosolenus like organism which I was also able to capture additional pictures of.

Vorticella sp. with Notosolenus-like Organism. Patterson D.J. 1996. p113
Close-up of Notosolenus-like organism. Patterson D.J. 1996.  p52 Figure 80.

Next I observed an Arcella, a type of amoeba, located behind what Dr. McFarland described as a dead bladderwort. I also observed and took pictures of a Rotifera swimming along the sediment of my MicroAquarium. I observed 3-4 Pinnularia, which are a type of algae or diatom and the same number of Saprodinium Epalxis' whose body was covered in cilia and had rigid folds and ridges on it. The most interesting microorganism I observed was a juvenile copepod called a Cyclopoid nauplis. I observed one dead and one active one. Upon closer inspection you could could see two appendages located in the rear and several groups of antennae on its upper body. Next week we will be observing our MicroAquariums after food pellets have been placed in them.

Dead baby cyclops. Smith D.G. 2001. 4th ed. p495 Figure 19.6

Arcella behind bladderwort. Patterson D.J. 1996.  p91 Figure 171


Swimming Epalxis. Patterson D.J. 1996.  p141 Figure 311

Pinnularia. Patterson D.J. 1996.  p25 Figure 6

Rotifera. Smith D.G. 2001. 4th ed. p143 Figure 7.15

No comments:

Post a Comment